Workshop Advanced CSS styling by Andy Clarke
- When: Wednesday October 6, 2010
- Where: Felix Meritis, Kremlin room
Modern web browsers are now better capable of rendering advanced CSS than ever before. From highly targeted CSS selectors to new ways to work with layout, colour and typography, if you are a web designer or developer, working with CSS has never been more exciting.
‘Advanced CSS Styling’; is a unique one-day master class presented by Andy Clarke, designer and author of the best-selling Transcending CSS. Spend the day with Andy learning how to use the most up-to-date CSS techniques in your everyday work.
What you will learn
- How to design balanced, inspired layouts using advanced CSS positioning techniques
- New ways to work with colour using RGBa
- Using multiple background and border images
- How to use text and box shadows
- About CSS gradients, reflections and transitions
Of course the browser landscape is varied and each browser supports different CSS properties. You will learn how to design around, rather than hack around these natural differences to create experiences that are enjoyable for everyone, no matter which browser they use. You will learn:
- Modernizr and how it will help you to design around browser support
- When using Universal Internet Explorer 6 is appropriate
Web typography is one of the hottest topics in web design and development. As a self-confessed typography perfectionist, Andy will teach you:
- Working with font embedding solutions including Typekit, Kernest and Cufon
- Creating striking, readable type with typographic hierarchies
- How to improve typography with kerning, leading and baseline shifts
In this full day master class, you will also learn the latest techniques for designing in a browser and how to test your designs for web accessibility throughout your design process.
Schedule (subject to change)
8.30am – 9.00am: Registration
- Register, get settled and enjoy a cup of coffee with your fellow attendees.
9.00am – 10:30am: Introduction
- The browser landscape and how CSS is being developed.
- Web sites do not need to look exactly the same in every browser.
- The natural differences between browsers.
- How designing in a browser can be creative and the techniques and tools that make it possible.
10:30 – 11:00: Break
11:00am – 12:30am: New ways to work with colour using RGBa and Opacity.
- Using multiple background and border images.
- How to use text and box shadows.
- CSS masks fills, and gradients.
- CSS reflections.
- CSS transforms, transitions and animations.
12:30am – 1:30pm: Lunch
- Modernizr and how it will help you to design around browser support.
- Designing rather than hacking around browser differences
- Universal Internet Explorer 6 CSS and when using it is appropriate.
3:00pm – 3:30pm: Break
- Tea, coffee or a soda
3:30pm – 5:30pm:
@font-face font embedding and typography
- Creating striking, readable type with typographic hierarchies.
- How to improve typography with kerning, leading and baseline shifts.
- Working with font embedding solutions including Typekit, Kernest and Cufon.
- Q&A and discussion.
6:30pm – late: Evening social
- A further opportunity for you to network with your fellow attendees.