Job position: Front End Developer at Elsevier (Amsterdam)
Can you hoist variables with the best? Do you think architecture is a word that should be applied to CSS? And do you see a place for web components?
Interesting questions? Then you might be the person we are looking for. As a member of the Product Development team, you will have the opportunity to design and build solutions which will impact the research community. You will be responsible for design, implementation, documentation and maintenance of various web products as well as deployment systems.
Interested? Please apply online or send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Work closely with product management and UX design to define and refine feature specifications
- Streamline our development pipeline all the way from code check-ins to deployment (using the best tools available: e.g. Jira, GIT, Gulp) and Add/Improve our test coverage
- Participate in the full development lifecycle
- Reason about technical choices, such as our architecture and tools
- Propose new technologies and tools suitable to our infrastructure. Be able to explain the choices and to analyze the advantages of adopting them
- Analyze and improve the efficiency, scalability, stability, and security of our applications and systems
- Actively participate in our Scrum team
- Share knowledge with colleagues and coaching them in such a way that they can fulfill their potential
You will collaborate with software developers, based in Amsterdam, as well as outside, product managers and creative user experience specialists, forming a team to raise the bar on the customer experience. We use agile development and are looking for candidates willing to work in a dynamic environment where we aim to deliver quality solutions.
You will be based in Amsterdam (where we have a very nice coffee bar) reporting to the Team lead Product Development. To read more on our products, please visit: http://www.elsevier.com/research-intelligence.
What you should bring
- MSc in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as frontend developer
- Deep understanding of HTML, CSS and responsive design
- Experience in collaborating with designers through visual and interactive mockups and translate into code and markup
- Advocate for best practices and standards
- Experience with back-end technologies are considered a plus
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Comfortable to share your opinion in discussions about new product ideas, concepts and functionality
- Strong communicator in English; verbal, written and good interpersonal skills
What we offer
We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment with great opportunities for personal development. Elsevier’s benefits are very competitive and the summary below will give you an idea of what you can expect when joining Elsevier in the Netherlands.
- Competitive salary and a 13th month
- 27 days of leave
- Attractive collective health care insurance package with considerable reduction rates
- Solid Pension Plan of which 70% of the premiums is paid by Elsevier
- Profit share or bonus plan subject to the company annual results
- You can participate in the convertible personnel bond scheme
- Flexible working arrangements
- Travel allowance for commuting
- Reductions to several personal insurance packages due to our collective agreements
- Additional benefits, such as memberships to Elsevier’s magazines, discount on books and in-house sport facilities
- Numerous training, coaching and e-learning modules for long term job opportunities and development
- Several local and global networking communities to share best practices and knowledge
- Various social responsibility programs, channeling knowledge and strengths to help communities around the world improve education, science, health care and protect the environment.
An assessment or business case could be part of our selection procedure. A pre-employment screening will be part of our recruitment procedure.