Fronteers 2015 workshop "Mastering Gulp Build Systems" by Wes Bos
- Date: Wednesday, 7 October 2015, 9:00 - 17:00
- Venue: Spaces Herengracht
- Ticket price: € 345,- (€ 270,- for Fronteers members) + 21% Dutch VAT
- Tickets are available in the Fronteers 2015 Ticket shop
Setting up your perfect build system
All modern websites and web applications require a build step in which we compile, compress and clean any code/assets in our project.
Gulp.js is a task runner that allows us to quickly create and customize build systems for any type of project. Whether you are building a Ruby on Rails application, creating an App in Angular.js or a website on WordPress, learning Gulp is an investment you need to make.
What you'll learn
This one day course will increase your web tooling workflow by taking a deep dive into Gulp.js. Not only will you be extremely comfortable with creating streaming build systems, you
The goals of this course are:
- Full understanding of Gulp, with the ability to create totally customized build systems
- Increased Developer Efficiency - build it once and have your tooling support you in solving problems rather than manual tasks
- Creation of better, cleaner codebases
- Faster loading websites, smaller overall footprints
- Compiling Sass, Stylus or Less into CSS
- Start using CSS4 features today CSS Next
- Automatically prefixing CSS with Autoprefixer
- Removing unused CSS from our projects
- Start writing next-generation ECMAScript 6 features today and transpile into browser supported ES5 with Babel.js
Code Quality + Performance
- Compress all your JPG, PNG and GIF files before launching a site
- Inline SVG files for easy manipulation and fast loading
- Run Linters on languages which check for coding errors
- Installing Node.js
- Managing packages with NPM
- Working with existing gulp build systems
- Creating build systems from scratch
- Selecting files with Globs
- Working with Buffers and Streams
+ So much more
- Live edit with BrowserSync to easily test, reload and sync website changes across multiple devices
- Compile Jade or Haml templates and partials into HTML
- Create watch that run when files are changed
- Error Handling and Desktop Notifications
- Writing your own Gulp.js Task
- A computer running OSX, Windows or Linux is required.
- A text editor - Sublime Text, TextMate, Coda, NotePad++, Vim...
- iTerm2 or Terminal for Macs, Cmdr for Windows. Check out http://CommandLinePowerUser.com for some useful vids on getting comfortable in the terminal.
- Node.js installed - download and use the installer at https://nodejs.org/